Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Dr. Hertz, the pediatrician


Today, Leah went to her 2 year checkup with Dr. Hertz. He's been our pediatrician since Carter was born and the kids are crazy about him. It's reassuring since I feel like we're there so often. She's been a little leary during our last few trips because we saw other doctors during sick visits and she's at an age where she can remember getting shots. So, today's visit started out a little rough....Leah refused to stand on the scale and kept asking me to put her clothes back on after getting her ready for her exam. We finally got her weighed on the infant scale and we read some books while waiting for Dr. Hertz. This seemed to settle her.

Dr. Hertz knocked a few minutes later, and then hid behind the door surprising them. He played with her stuffed bunny rabbit and talked to Carter about how Leah's been doing. When asking Carter, do you have any questions for me about Leah, Carter confessed that she's been having trouble cleaning up her toys and that she's not big like him yet. I was trying not to laugh while listening to their very serious conversation. He encouraged Carter to lead by example and that soon she would learn to clean up after herself. He agreed. I'm not optimistic.

I asked lots of questions as I usually do and my biggest concern was Leah's habit of sucking her fingers. He said there are things you can try but there's unfortunately not much that works. By 5 or 6 she'll probably stop on her own. That's at least 3 years away, which seems like forever. The biggest concern is her teeth which the dentist will have to keep an eye on. He examined her and said she's healthy and doing great! He was glad she's talking so well and that she likes to run and climb. It's so good to get a clean report. One pointer he gave me was to wait until Jeremy gets home from work to have dinner. I sort of wondered if Jeremy called ahead or something. He's trying to encourage families to eat meals together when possible. I explained that we do our best to wait, but sometimes Pregnant Mommy gets hungry! We'll try harder to wait for Dad though...it's good advice. We'll see Dr. Hertz next in June when the baby's born....hard to believe it's only 3 months away!! While leaving the office through the lobby, she said goodbye to Nemo in the fishtank and told him she'd see him another day. Leah assumes every fish is Nemo.

4 comments:

La Belle Vie said...

Dr. Hertz sounds like the ideal pediatrician. We need more doctors like him! Go Dr. Hertz!!!

IUgirl78 said...

You are a very good story-teller, Jen. Dr. Hertz sounds like a wonderful pediatrician! I love how he was asking Carter if he had any questions about Leah...and I love it even more that he actually DID have questions!!! I'm glad you're documenting this so you can tell the kids when they get older. :)

I didn't get around to asking the question about Reese sucking on her fingers, so I'm glad you did! (Yeah, we had too many issues--next time we'll have to block off 3appointments!) I think I'm going to take her to a dentist and see what they say. It's definitely getting worse for us.

That's nice that he encouraged you to eat together--though I'm sure it's not always possible!

IUgirl78 said...

I like the background and am glad you can add links now! :) Thanks for bearing with me while I figured it out! I'll try to give you a call this weekend. If we don't talk, have a Happy Easter!

APMom said...

Ok Jen, how does Leah have so much hair at only 2? Something must be wrong with my girls! :) Peyton is still nearly bald at 10 months and Allison has half the amount of hair as Leah and she's one week from her 4th birthday. Good greif!