Friday, June 13, 2008

Book Club

I've decided to start posting monthly about book club. There are about five of us that get together each month and discuss a book. Whoever hosts chooses the book for that month. We usually eat yummy food (if the host is feeling ambitious, she tries to pull a food theme from the book), drink some wine and spend time talking about the book. It's always hard to stay on topic and somehow we eventually talk about our kids.

June was "The Secret Life of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd. I had gotten the idea from my mother in law's book club list. She's part of a different group and they select a book each month from a specific list. Anyhow, the book was excellent and I would recommend to all if you're looking for a good, quick summer read by the pool. I loved many of the characters and the way the story unfolded.

A short synopsis.... The story is about Lily's life in the south during the 60's. Her mother tragically dies when she's little and she eventually escapes her abusive father and heads to Tiburon, SC with her nanny Rosaleen. Lily chooses Tiburon because she finds a photograph left by her mother picturing a Black Madonna. The location was written on the back.
Her journey leads her to a honey house where she and Rosaleen live with three black sisters. Here, she learns about herself and her mother's past.

2 comments:

IUgirl78 said...

Hey, what a great idea to post about your monthly book pick! I'm always looking for great recommendations and will have to check it out from the library. I remember the days of going to Hilton Head and reading a book a day because all I would do is lay by the pool. Now I'm lucky if I can get 10 minutes to read! :)

Aunt H said...

I have heard about this book from other people...I think I will definitely have to read it. I wish I had a book club to join, but none of my friends read. :-( (Other than magazines).