The American Creed (written in the early 1900's)
Dave reads an awesome writing about being accountable and doing the best you can, and rising up to the challenges of life. It's called An American Creed by Dean Alfange.
I do not choose to be a common man. It is my right to be uncommon-if I can. I seek opportunity not security. I do not wish to be a kept citizen, humbled and dulled by having the state look after me.
I want to take the calculated risk; to dream and to build, to fail and to succeed. I refuse to barter incentive for a dole. I prefer the challenges of life to the guaranteed existence; the thrill of fulfillment to the stale calm of utopia.
I will not trade freedom for beneficence nor my dignity for a handout. I will never cower before any master nor bend to any threat.
It is my heritage to stand erect, proud and unafraid; to think and act for myself, enjoy the benefit of my creations and to face the world boldly and say, "This I have done."
7 comments:
Gotta love Dave Ramsey!
That was written in the early 1900's??? How true that still is today...well, for some Americans. It is incredibly sad how some people feel "entitled" to things that other people have worked so hard for.
I agree with your thoughts regarding your own family. I don't mind if my children fail as long as they learn something from it.
Great post, Jen!
Wow, Jen. That is really powerful-thanks for posting it! I agree with Kristy that it is disappointing that so many people feel "entitled" to things. I know the satisfaction I feel from saving my money to buy something I really need or want is so much better than the guilt of having run up my credit card to pay for something I don't need (like I used to do right out of school).
I hope to instill this in my children as well. We all need to be accountable, to learn from our mistakes, to celebrate our successes, and to PRAY. That is what I'll be doing a lot of in the days to come! :) Great post!
I agree - seems every failing business wants a handout now. Greed and corruption and bad business descisions should not get our hard earned money.
As far as kids go - Matt and I both agree that failure is a life lesson. Too many sports these days stress that "everybody wins". Unfortunately, that's not how life works...
That is beautiful, and very true. Like they say, you really have to experience the bad to appreciate the good (well, I say that anyway). If I had never failed at anything, I certainly wouldn't have the work ethic and drive that I have today. Amazing that 100 years later, his writing still applies!
Was Dave Ramsey the priest with the radio program you told me about?
That's Father Corapi that you're thinking of Michelle. He is on EWTN, the catholic tv network. Fr. Corapi is a wonderful teacher regarding the catechism and truth about the catholic church. He's refreshing to hear, as there are a lot of misconceptions out there. He also has a website and I think is currently writing a book.
I just recently learned of Dave Ramsey. He has a radio show and is now hosting a tv program as well, more about financial advice and living without debt, making good choices.
Thanks for all the comments. I enjoyed the feedback from everyone. These issues hit close to home.
Ah, more Dave Ramsey fans! Darren and i have been hooked on him for a while now. We watch his program almost every night and I just finished reading The Total Money Makeover.
Post a Comment