Monday, February 22, 2010

It's A Boy!!! Welcoming Baby Brooks!!

Saturday the 23rd, around 9pm, I had a few doosy contractions. Right away, I went up to bed thinking this could be it and the last thing I need is to labor sleep deprived! So, I slept on and off for a few hours. The contractions continued to wake me, but I was able to get back to sleep until around 1am. At that point, I got out of bed and started to time things. Waking Jeremy was uneventful.. After two false labors with Leah, he swears to never return to the hospital unless it's the "real thing". So, he stalled and waited for me to "really be sure!". So, I paced, finished packing my bag, called the doctor. The contractions continued to narrow to about 4 mins apart.

Dr. Girzhel was on call, not my actual doctor, but I would say my second favorite in the practice. Dr. Galun has delivered all my kids to that point and he is wonderful, but I knew there was always a chance it would be someone else. Anyhow, Dr. Girzhel said give it 20 more mins since it's my 4th delivery she didn't want me to wait too long. If things continue to progress, get stronger or closer, then come in. If the opposite happens, wait a while. So, things progressed and since I was now walking around they get stronger. I woke Jer for a second time. He still stayed in bed! I guess after 3 he figured he could just deliver the baby if need be.

I then called my mom and she said she'd be here soon. I told Jer it's time and he really had to get up. A few mins later my mom arrived and we headed to the hospital. At this point, my contractions were about 3 mins apart and it was around 2am. We arrived about 20 mins later and went right to labor and delivery (with the others I had to check in through the ER). This was better for sure. I was 2cm dilated in Dr. Galun's office Wednesday afternoon. When I arrived at the hospital, I was only b/w 3 and 4cm. So, I walked around for a bit and then asked for the epidural. I think I got the epidural about a half hour later, after receiving the IV fluids, so about 3 or 3:30. Within 20 mins, I felt a lot of pressure. The nurse checked me again and I was around 7cm. Amazing how after relaxing with the epidural, things went so fast. They called Dr. Girzhel and she came in and broke my water. Sorry if this is too graphic.....Carter and Elliot both were meconium babies and once again, there was meconium in my water so they had the ICU staff come in during the delivery, which is routine. It also means about 10 other people in the room during the delivery.

Around 5:30, I was 9cm dilated and she decided to give me petosin to make the contractions stronger and more regular. She said it would speed things up. When I was ready to push, she called in the ICU and on my next contraction I pushed. It took one push and out he came. She suctioned him really well and then held him up to show us. It was so exciting....a sweet little baby boy. They cleaned him up and examined him for a minute (due to the meconium). Then, I got to hold him. So much hair and a sweet little face. He settled right down when I fed him. There's nothing quite like the experience of childbirth....the high it gives you to bring a child into the world. It truly is a miracle every time. We're so blessed to have Brooks in our lives.

We called home shortly after and told the kids and my parents that it was a boy. They were really excited and Leah even said it's ok that it's not a girl. She's a much better sport than I at her age, not altogether thrilled when my mom brought home another brother, not a sister! She's so sweet to him, always wanting to see him, hold him and talk to him. Leah asks about him when he's sleeping and it's the first things she talks about in the morning. Where's Baby Brooks? Carter's been a huge help too. It's much easier this time than when I had Elliot. I think because the kids are older and understand when I can't drop everything to help them. Carter's teacher calls him the peacekeeper at school and I think he's the peacekeeper here too. He knows how to help and is willing to do so (most of the time! :-). Elliot has been the hardest of course because he has to adjust the most and is only 19 months old. He's been a good sport though and treats Brooks really well. Just a little more whiny lately. We've noticed that he's talking a lot more which should help with the tantrums!

It's taken me weeks to finish this post, so I just want to get it out there! A lot has happened in a month, but I'll post more later. Enjoy the pics.

Jeremy, coaching from the couch.
Resting after the epidural

Brooks, just after he was born, getting checked over by the doctors
7 lb 3 oz, 19"
born 6:26 am

Daddy, cutting the cord.

Snuggling with Mom for the 1st time.
I haven't put him down much since! He's just so sweet.


Jeremy, holding Brooks for the first time.

First bath.

Just after the bath.


G-ma (Jeremy's mom) meeting grandchild #8


Jeremy's dad with Brooks
Grandma with Brooks, grandchild #16
Grandpa Williams with Brooks
Our friend, Debbie came and brought cookies and flowers from Costco, Yummo! I especially loved the oatmeal raisen.
Aunt Maggie with Brooks. She was in town from U of Cincinatti.
Aunt Heather and fiance, Anil. Anil is from India and has never really been around babies. He was so excited to hold Brooks, but so nervous!! He kept asking if he was ok. It was super sweet.
Aunt Anna and Brooks




I love this little hand-knitted hat they put on him at the hospitalDay 2, finally out of the hospital gown and after a shower!


All set in the car seat
Heading home to meet the rest of the fam!!!

To wrap it up, my friend Debbie also gave me a book, "Moments for Moms, Daily Inspirations".
Today's was good and sort of linked with this last pic.

February 22nd - What is home? It is the laugh of a baby, the song of a mother, the strength of a father, warmth of loving hearts, lights from happy eyes, kindness, loyalty, comradeship.

There's also of course chaos and noise and dirty laundry! But, after almost three days in the hospital, I was glad to be getting home.

4 comments:

IUgirl78 said...

This post made me teary-eyed...It sounds like it was a wonderful experience bringing Brooks into the world! He is SUCH a handsome little guy, too. I just got his birth announcement today and about melted. How can you stand to be around so much cuteness in your house??? :) Love you guys!

Tracy said...

What a beautiful boy! Congratulations!

APMom said...

I thoroughly enjoyed this post, Jen! What great memories you have here. Enjoy every moment with your family.

APMom said...

I thoroughly enjoyed this post, Jen! What great memories you have here. Enjoy every moment with your family.