Friday, July 18, 2008

3 Weeks with Three





Elliot is now 3 weeks old. I must say it's very busy and much more difficult with three. I think the transition has been harder than 1 to 2 in some ways and easier in others. The sleep deprivation seems to be getting worse. There's absolutely no time for naps, as Carter rarely sleeps anymore. When I had Leah, Carter was still taking 2 naps each day since he was only 18 months old. Now Leah only takes one and they are very busy the rest of the day. However, Carter and Leah have been playing really well together so it gives me time to sit and hold Elliot. Since I'm very sleep deprived at the moment (Elliot was up from 4-6am this morning - Jeremy and I took turns holding him) I'm going to keep this post to a minimum. Just wanted to put up some new pics and let everyone know I'm surviving!! We even ventured to the pool today and I took all 3 to the grocery by myself last week. Today, everything went great until we left. Carter melted down about not getting to go in the big pool and I used a different bag and didn't have money for popsicles on the way out, something we usually do. Lesson learned, cut these outings a bit shorter until I start having more energy. I think I pushed my luck a bit. In regards to the grocery trip, some may think what's the big deal? Well for anyone that's had three toddlers, it was scary stuff. I got into the parking space and had to convince myself to get out of the car. I almost went home, but decided to give it a shot, acknowledging that we may not make it further than the produce section. Two moms stopped and told me way to go, both mothers of three. Another mom I saw that I knew wanted to stop and chat. I wrapped it up quick, explaining I'm on a mission. She understood. We made it through, spending much more money than normal - no time for price comparisons. Carter and Leah were awesome. They must have sensed Mommy's anxiety. I feel much more confident about the next time. I think I just needed to figure out that I can make it out of the house with three kids even though I only have two hands. Each day gets better and my mood has significantly improved after getting through that first week. I keep reminding myself how truly blessed we are to have these crazy munchkins. They're the best gifts in life and while I will spend the next 20 years exhausted, it's worth every minute.

5 comments:

APMom said...

Jen, you are a brave woman! I am so proud of you! I'm not sure how long it would take me to make that trip to the grocery with 3 kids in tow...it's tough enough with 2 some days, even when Darren is along to help out! Thanks for sharing your updates and pictures.

IUgirl78 said...

Okay, you are Super Mom! No joke, Jen...It took me weeks/months to venture anywhere with TWO on my own. I'm sure it will get easier each time you go as you will learn tricks and tips--such as make sure you have money for popsicles!

Thanks for posting the new pictures! Elliot looks so small and precious!

Aunt H said...

Aww...Jen, he is so sweet!!

You really ARE Super Mom! Even with just watching 3 in a contained home, I tend to get a little overwhelmed. I think that is great that you got out...hopefully it will get easier as time goes on.

La Belle Vie said...

Boy, your post confirmed what I had thought for a long time! It is harder with three kids...at least for a while, then it's great! Just hang in there for a couple more weeks and it will be better...I have to share a story with you...probably about the time you and Kristy started at IU, I was working in an office here in the Finance Dept. I was right outside of the controller's office, and we had some auditors in from New York. One morning, one of the auditors, a 20-something single gal, and two of our company employees - both married, no kids -were chatting about having children. They kept talking about if you had two kids it would be so much easier to have a third; no big deal to go to 3 from 2. Well, as the mother of three, after hearing them go on and on about this, I finally couldn't take it anymore! I walked in and excused myself, said I couldn't help overhearing, but I begged to differ: it's another bed to make, another set of clothes to wash daily, another bath to give and as Erma Bombeck once said (on her 3 children) - there are only 2 popsicles in a package, two twinkies, two Hostess cupcakes, etc. Let's just say, that they got my point and in the end, one stopped at two children, the other has one. Don't know about the New York gal! Anyway, in a few weeks you will have this conquered and you are right - you are truly blessed!!!! : - )

Amy said...

Hey Jen! Got to your blog through a link on Kristy's! Congrats on your third! I didn't think the transition from 2 to 3 was too hard, but my other two were quite a bit older so they were good helpers! I thought it was hardest going from none to 1!

It will get easier!! They will always have playmates so that is great - it allows you then some free time to get things done and to (!) relax!!!

Your kids are adorable!!
Amy (Joel's sister)