Thursday, April 2, 2009

A chat with Carter

I was reminded yesterday during lunch of something my dad always talked about after raising us....the difference between conversations with me vs conversations with my brothers. Most talks with them were as brief as they could make them, usually consisting of mostly one word answers. However, when I would talk I'd elaborate and give lots of detail and explanation, emotional and otherwise. Well, this afternoon, Carter had come in to eat his lunch. Leah stayed out in the yard an extra few minutes, so we were sitting at the table, just the two of us. I started to chat with him about his morning at school. It went like this.....

Me - "How was school?"
Carter - "Good"
Me - "What did you do?"
Carter - "We played"
Me - "Did you learn anything new?"
Carter - "Yeah, a lot"
Me - "Like what?"
Carter - "Nothing"
Me - "Did you talk about numbers or letters?"
Carter - "mumble something..."
Me - "What did you say?"
Carter - "I didn't say anything"
Followed by 15 secs of silence
Carter (eyeing her lunch)- "Is Leah gonna eat that?"

I just had to laugh. Though rare, there are moments where he wants to tell me a long detailed story. For the most part, he's pretty straightforward and action oriented. Not interested in chit-chat with his mom. I'll have to rely on Leah for that. :-)

1 comment:

IUgirl78 said...

Thanks for the good laugh, Jen! (Or should I thank Carter??) That is just priceless. I'm sure you will have the same conversation about 10 years from now...though I doubt he will wait 15 seconds to ask for Leah's food.

He is such a cutie!!!