Let's see...Carter updates. He's now a big Kindergartener. Jeremy and I had teacher conferences this past week. I gotta say she was straight with us. Sometimes I have a glorified view of Carter ;-) , thinking he rarely gets into mischief (I'm thinking this is a first born thing). Anyhow, she said he's empathetic with others and very nice to the kids. She called him Happy Carter, makes friends easily. However....(this is when you know it's not all good news) he also likes to join in when someone is getting out of line. She said he's curious and gets distracted by things that look fun, even though it's not what they're supposed to be doing. She of course said it in a nice way, but we got the message. So, we'll have to work on the leadership skills. :-) All in all, the reading and writing skills are fine, but she doesn't want him to fall behind. It definitely was a helpful conference, but I left thinking, what about "Carter is my favorite kid in class!" b/c obviously he's mine. Every mom thinks so.
He's been a little different at home, a little more rough housing going on, which I gather he's picking up playing football on the playground. He still loves to ride his bike and go on the swings. He recently made it across the monkey bars, one at a time. He's working on alternating. Carter's starting to read a bit. Her philosophy is using fundamentals and phonics (I almost spelled that wrong!), so sort of old school since I had been hearing so much about sight words. I don't know which is better. Any thoughts out there, school teachers? He does seem to be picking it up. He's very interested in science and how things work. He likes the shows "Factory Made" and "How Do They Do It?" on the Science Channel. We make him fast-forward the commercials, since they're not always kid friendly.
He wanted a fishing cake so this is my lame attempt, once again. I used a lego man and made a blue pond out of frosting, a fishing line out of kitchen twine.

All the kiddos from left, Crawford, Hayden Bridget, Lane, Carter, Madeleine, Leah, Kate, James, Trenton and Molly
Right from the party, we headed to Middle Bass to spend the rest of the weekend with Jeremy's parents. We hadn't been all summer. Mike was so good about the cold weather since the kids really wanted to get in the water. He improvised and instead of tubing behind the jetski, he tied a board to the back of the golf cart. Good times!!

Sunday afternoon before we headed back, Carter begged Pop-pop to put the skis in water. It was freezing, but they did it! Here they are backing off the trailer.
Carter had a great birthday and great birthday weekend. We enjoyed it too. It's fun watching him have fun. He can be kind of serious at times, but also knows how to have a good time. Happy 6th birthday Carter!!! We love you.





1 comment:
Happy Birthday, Carter!! Wow, 6 years...it doesn't seem possible! He is such a good kid--you and Jeremy should be so incredibly proud.
Isn't it fun to have a parent/teacher conference and see someone else's view of your child? Oh, and I'm sure Carter is her favorite--she just can't say b/c she doesn't want the other parents to find out. :)
I also think it's good that the teacher is pushing phonics. Sight words are great, too, but if kids don't know how to sound out words that aren't sight words. Glad he is doing so well!
Post a Comment