Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Ugly Wallpaper

When we moved into this house just over two years ago, we'd always planned to redo the kitchen and family room. This included moving at least one wall and tearing out the cabinets. The blue wallpaper is a blue floral print and has pretty much been the joke of the house since we moved in.

We have the plans drawn for the remodel. Now we just need the cash! We've been saving as much as possible but it's looking like it will be at least spring till we get started. I woke up Sunday morning and all I could think about was stripping the wallpaper. Brooks is getting easier and I'm getting more sleep. Now with the kids in school, I kind of figure a project here or there could get done.

I called my mom Sunday night for reinforcement. She said she'd only do it if Jeremy was on board. Up until now, he was completely against it, simply b/c it meant doing the work twice...stripping the wallpaper and painting only to have to paint again after the remodel occurs. I completely understand and said he wouldn't have to help (since now I'm not prego and can actually do some of the work!).

My mom came over Monday morning after I dropped everyone but Brooks at school. He thankfully had a good nap day and we made some big time progress. The wallpaper was completely down by 5pm. I spackled that night, sanded Tue am and then stripped the bathroom Tue afternoon. When I told my friend Debbie I was stripping the kitchen, she replied, "Can you do the bathroom too?!" It was the easy part, only about 40 mins.

I was able to use our bedroom color for the bathroom, which is brown. Then for the kitchen, I had planned to use a leftover green color as I was avoiding spending any money on the project. Because the cabinets are so dark, the green wouldn't have worked so I did buy one gallon of paint for the kitchen. We were able to do it in one coat. So, for around 25 bucks, we got the whole thing done and it's much more comfortable.

Here's my helper!! It was so nice to have the company during such a tedious job. Plus it cut the labor time in half! We just used hot water and a little dish soap....came off pretty easily.
Here's Elliot, my other helper.
The final piece behind the fridge!
This is the light green color after we finished painting. Jeremy was a good sport and did the rolling after I cut it all in.

3 comments:

APMom said...

Wow! Nice work, Jen! Doesn't it feel good to see a project come together?

Michelle said...

Looks great! A fun accomplishment! :)

IUgirl78 said...

I absoultely LOVE it! I saw this post a week ago and even showed the pictures to Joel--I just forgot to comment. (Being one-handed with a baby sometimes does that...) I am so impressed with how quickly you were able to get the paper down and put paint on the walls. Nicely done! I hope to see it in person sometime!