Sunday, July 6, 2008

Announcing the birth of Elliot Michael

Elliot arrived on June 26th at 12:19pm, his Daddy's birthday. The birth story went like this...I went into labor at 3am and arrived at the hospital around 4:30 with contractions about 8 mins apart. Since I was almost 3cm in the office the day before, Dr. Galun didn't want me to wait too long to come in because he thought things could move rather quickly. However, just the opposite happened. As soon as I hit the bed, my contractions spread to 10 mins apart and everything slowed down. Bummer! Jeremy looked at me with a face of "this better not be a false alarm". We made two extra trips to the hospital with Leah, so we're veterans when it comes to false alarms. :-)

When they checked me, I was only 4 cm dilated. I asked the nurses if I could walk the halls for a while since this really helped me when delivering Leah (I just did it at home that time). They checked with my Dr. and around Jeremy and I went for two hours. The contractions immediately narrowed to 4 mins when I got up to walk and remained that way until 8:30 when they checked me again. I was 6cm at that time and desparately ready for the epidural. As soon as they numbed me up, things went to two mins apart. Dr. Galun broke my water around 11:30 and Elliot arrived at 12:19, weighing in at 6 lbs, 12 oz and measuring 19 3/4 inches. There was meconium in my water so we had to have the neonatologist and extra nurses in the delivery room (Dr. Galun calls this the meconium party - Carter also hosted the event). I asked my mom to stay and watch the delivery as well. She has five kids of her own and has never seen another birth. It was really nice having her there, especially seeing how excited she was to be part of everything. I think it meant a lot to her. When Elliotwas born, they immediately suctioned his airways to decrease risk of infection and checked him over thoroughly.

He is perfect, a sweet baby boy. I could just sit and hold him all day long. Now that I have more than one, I realize how much I took for granted when I just had Carter. There's no downtime, as the others require so much attention. Leah and Carter do play well together which helps. It's just busier than ever and I'm trying to cherish the moments I can snuggle with Elliot. Carter and Leah love to hold him and talk to him. They always want to know where he is and ask the funniest questions about him. One of the first things Carter asked was "When will he dig in the dirt?" and "When can he start walking?". Leah has started saying his name and calls him a sweetheart. At two, I think she's handling the transition well which is such a blessing. That was one of my biggest concerns and Dr. Hertz has said to me with #2 and #3 that the biggest risk to the baby are the older siblings. I just have to keep an eye on them all the time.

Here are some shots from the labor and Elliot's first day.....

We were walking out the door, headed to the hospital....one last belly shot.

Jeremy waiting patiently just before we walked the halls..

Looking good in the fancy hospital gown. I think I speak for every patient when I say they need to invest in more fashionable attire.


Just after the epidural. Notice the smile!!


Jeremy cutting the cord. A big birthday present for Dad. He had guessed we were having a boy and was excited to announce his name was Elliot.

Elliot all wrapped up....


Jeremy making the hand-off. This was the first time I held him.

Proud Grandma Williams and last minute labor coach.

Dr. Galun, my OB. He always does such a great job!! He delivered Carter and Leah too. I was so glad he could make it to Elliot's delivery. He's a wonderful doctor.

G-ma Kler holding Elliot for the first time, her 7th grandchild. She got there just a few minutes after the delivery, straight from the Middle Bass Ferry.


Aunt Anna meeting Baby Elliot

Aunt Kelly with Elliot


Gloria, the best nurse ever! She helped a ton with the delivery, cheering me on as I made my laps through the hall. She was really good to Jeremy and I, making the experience as fun and comfortable as possible. Gloria's been at Hillcrest about 30 years. If I have another baby at Hillcrest, I'm going to ask for her!


Carter and Leah meeting their little brother for the first time. We told them it was a boy and Carter just smiled ear to ear.


"We want to see his feet"


First family photo with Elliot

Elliot with Uncle Matt. Uncle David and Uncle Matt watched the kids all day while we were at the hospital. A huge thanks to them!

Uncle David was home all week and got to meet Elliot on his birthday. This was the first one of our kids David had been in town to meet on the day of their delivery.

Grandpa Williams with Elliot, his 14th grandchild and fourth grandson born in four months.

Sleepy boy! A busy first day.


Jeremy holding Elliot. I love this picture!

Pop-pop Kler meeting Elliot. He looks so little being held in his big hands.

Jeremy holding Elliot just before he went home for the night.

Welcome to the world Elliot. We're so blessed to have you!!!!

4 comments:

APMom said...

Congrats, Kler Family! Welcome baby Elliot! Jen, how in the world did you find the time (and energy!) to put together this wonderful post? Thank you so much for sharing all of the pictures and the story of Elliot's birth. I hope you're getting some rest and some quality time with the baby. By the way, when is Elliot going to start digging in the dirt? :)

Aunt H said...

Welcome, little Elliot! He is absolutely adorable. I think he looks a lot like Carter. They will be such buddies....and I'm sure Leah will be such a good big sister!

How fun that he and dad share birthdays! I am so glad that everything went well and that you had a great experience.

Jen, you just make me want to get pregnant right now because you look SO darn cute!!!!

IUgirl78 said...

Slow down there, Holly! :)

She's right, though--you look absolutely AMAZING in all of the pics! I also agree w/ Kelly's comment and think this is a wonderful post. I loved hearing the birth story and seeing all of the pictures. How neat that your mom got to stay and witness the birth! I am also glad David was home so he could be a part of the whole celebration.

I'm so glad Carter and Leah are adjusting well to life with Elliot. I can't wait to hear more stories!z

La Belle Vie said...

Check out that hair! Wow! It looks so long and thick already. What a sweetie. Jen, you look great in all of your pictures. You would never know you were in labor in the early ones and you look wonderful in the ones after giving birth. You guys have such darling kiddos. You are truly blessed!