Monday, October 13, 2008

30th Birthday Weekend

My college friends and I got together a few weeks ago to celebrate the year of our 30th birthdays. It took a few years of planning, but we pulled it all together....picked a weekend Michelle would be home from Germany, chose a venue (Tara's family cottage), worked out the logistics and decided on a menu. There were five of us....Kristy, Kelly, Michelle, Tara and myself.

Michelle and Jan flew to Cleveland Thursday. We had a chance to hang out here before heading to Fort Wayne, where we met up with Kristy and Kelly on Friday. They got a little taste of life with 3 children. I hope we didn't scare them!! Michelle and I drove to Kelly's house on Friday. We spent the night there with her family... husband Darren and her two little girls, Allison and Peyton. It was so fun seeing them. The girls are adorable and thanks again for the pizza!!! While Kel and her fam were rooting for their team (Kelly's a high school asst. principal and has to be at all the home games), Michelle and I headed over to Joel's parents' house to visit Kristy's family. We got to see her hubby Joel and two kids Reese and Ryan. They had tons of energy and were racing around the back yard, which was a lot of fun to watch!! Mrs. Worthington makes some very awesome apple crisp. I need to get the recipe b/c I just tried to make some the other day and it was a flop!

Saturday morning, the four of us rendevouzed after grabbing some coffee and drove to the cottage, where we met Tara. Let me start by saying the cottage was amazing, a cozy place up on a small quiet lake in Michigan, full of family history. You could just tell wonderful memories were made there. I am so grateful to Tara for hooking us up with her husband's grandparents' place. Did I mention quiet, something I haven't experienced much of these days. It was so nice to relax with friends, have a conversation without being interrupted or asked for a snack. We caught up, talked about life as Mommies and wives. I just couldn't get over how even though time has gone by and a lot about our lives have changed, these were still some of my favorite people on the planet, friends I used to live with, laugh with, party and dance with more than (I hate to admit) 10 years ago. It was so fun and fascinating to share time together and I look forward to our next adventure.

I do enjoy cooking and the food was fantastic. We all brought a variety of items, piecing tasty meals together and ended up with enough food for a small army. The beer was great too!

We kicked things off by taking a lap around the lake. Tara thought we could catch some turtles, but we weren't so lucky. Instead, Kelly, Michelle and I worked up a sweat in the paddle boat. I thought it would be an easy ride around the water getting in touch with nature, but it was tough work. Tara and Kristy cruised around in the canoe, no problem.

Here they are, leaving us in their wake, if that's even possible in a canoe!
View of the cottage from the lake
They doubled back for a photo.
So beautiful. I love that tree!
Enjoying some beverages in the sunshine. Michelle is pregnant, which is why she's drinking bottled water.
Yummy chicken dinner
We got a fire going and sat outside way past my bedtime!
The flames don't show up on camera, but the fire was toasty warm. Tara and I kept it going due to my experience as an Indian Princess :-) They like to make fun of me for that comment!

Kelly and Kristy
Michelle and I, not centered b/c I was holding the camera.
After a while, we moved inside for fire #2. We toasted some marshmallows and made smores.
Michelle opened a few baby gifts. Tara is an artist, something we didn't know. She made the card herself including the drawing on the front. She should start a little side business.
A view of inside the cottage.
Kristy, Michelle, Tara and Kelly

Granny's Rules. You can tell she's a straight-forward lady, with simple rules for keeping a cozy cottage.This is Matt's grandmother's book. I read as much as I could. Tara said it's possible to find a copy on e-bay, which I'd like to do. It was amazing to read her life story. She's an unbelievable writer and has plenty to write about. I really enjoyed this and wish I had had time to read each and every page.
Another view on the inside.
Michelle's Mommy Tummy
Here we are about to hit the road for home on Sunday. Thank goodness for camera timers!

Thanks for a great weekend girls. I had a blast and loved spending time with you. Can't wait to get together again. Next time we see each other, Michelle will have had her baby!!!! I can't wait to meet the new little Hoosier.

1 comment:

IUgirl78 said...

I had such a great time hanging out with everyone! I know it must have been hard for you to drive all that way and leave Elliot when he was so young, but we all appreciated you being there!