Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Fall Apple Picking

The kids and I went apple-picking last week at a local fruit farm. We had such a nice time. It was a gorgeous sunny fall day and the smell of the apple trees was amazing. We grabbed a few empty bags from the farm store and walked out into the orchard. Here are some shots of the kids. They were very ambitious, saying they were going to carry their own bag. Of course, once the bag was full, they asked me to carry all 20 lbs back to the store. So far, we've made apple crisp and apple sauce. My apple crisp has room for improvement, but the sauce turned out really good.

The perfect pick!

We sampled along the way.

Carter and Leah are watching a wooly bear we found in the grass.



2 comments:

APMom said...

Fall is my favorite time of year! Allison was asking today for watermelon and corn on the cob. I told her those were summer foods and she would have to wait until next summer, but that apples were great in the fall. She didn't agree with me that fall is the best time of the year! :)

IUgirl78 said...

How fun! I have never thought of picking apples in the fall (though you know how much I LOVE apples!). I honestly didn't realize how much the kids would enjoy it! How fun that you're actually baking with the apples, too. I'm impressed!