Thursday, May 7, 2009

Mother's Day Tea

When Carter's teacher, Miss Jane, invited all the mom's to come in for a Mother's Day Tea, I was so excited! Any chance to visit Carter's classroom and get a peek of what he does at school, is so fun. I sometimes wish I could be a fly on the wall just to see how he acts at school.

When I arrived, Carter ran to the door and I bent down to hug him. He wacked me in the shoulder, putting a hand-made paper corsage on my shirt, better than any real corsage I've ever been given (no offense, Jer). Then he hugged me.


He walked me to his little school table where there was a hand-made laminated place mat. That's when I teared up. Each kid's place mat started with "I love my mom because" and then the end of the sentence was what the child had told the teacher to write. He climbed up on my lap and we chatted a while about his morning so far. Then he said, "you wait here, I have to go get something". He came back carrying a plate with two cookies. He then told me, "you eat the pink one because you're a girl". They had decorated the cookies in class the day before.

Then, the teachers served punch. Carter said he would have brought it over, but Miss Jane didn't want any spills. :-) The kids then lined up and sang Mother's Day songs. Here's one....

After they were done singing, I asked him if he could show me around his classroom. He was kind of shy about it but he walked me around anyhow, pointing out his favorite toys and puzzles. We talked about their daily routine, including the weather discussion. He then showed me the poster they all worked on together. He told me he signed his name next to the D in Day.

This was absolutely one of the biggest highlights of my career as a mom. Spending time one on one with Carter is so important to me. He is such a sweet, kind natured thoughtful little boy. I'm so proud of him and so thankful to be his Mom.

3 comments:

APMom said...

What a special day with Carter! Thanks for sharing with us, Jen. Happy Mother's Day!

IUgirl78 said...

Okay, that video was just too precious!!! I love when they pulled the stars from behind their backs...the kids seemed so proud!

I loved reading all about your time with him. You guys have done such a great job raising Carter. (Not that you're done yet!) I love that he's "all boy" and loves tractors, big machines, the outdoors, and digging in the dirt--but he loves his mom, too. He is too precious!!

Michelle said...

I love my time now with Blaise, but I am also looking forward to making beautiful memories with him like this one for you and Carter. What a special day for the both of you!